CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Lions & Tigers & Bears, Oh My!

Ok, not so much lions and tigers.  Unless you count my blow up
Mike the Tiger, the LSU mascot.
BUT, Bears, oh my!
I guess the correct title should be 
Spiders & Snakes & Bears, oh my!
Sunday, in the middle of the town I live in there was apparently a
Black Bear wandering around....
an approximately 140 pound bear.
Here! In. Town.
There are some woods near the grocery store that surround the high school track.
The track that people use to walk or run on for exercise!
Not that I've used them lately (or even in the last 6 years), but people do use the track on a daily basis.
Not to mention that school started back last Friday, and the football team has been using it for
awhile now, during summer practices.
There is a major thoroughfare running through our town north & south, that intersects with another major highway running east & west.
That is important being as the track and grocery are both on the north/south highway.
The bear once cornered and tranquilized, was found to have been hit by a vehicle, I'm thinking maybe by an 18 wheeler.  Now, I'm not downing truckers.....my husband is one.  I'm just thinking that may be
the only thing that could have hit it and possibly thought it was just a deer or a large dog, if they even
realized they hit it.
In fact, it was my husband who found out about the bear and told me last night on the phone.
Yes, I'm on my 6 day off stretch, and don't do a lot of going (usually) anywhere.
But seriously?  He was in FL when he heard about it.
Our granddaughter, Carter is here for the summer to visit her Father's family (AKA the sperm donor), and he is a detective with the Sheriff's Department.  I know she knows about it, and she's been texting me all summer, you'd have thunk she'd of been all over texting this!  But no!
Not only that, there was a big snake in my driveway yesterday, near the trash can.  From what I can tell it was an Oak or King snake and it was spared, mainly because it crawled into the driveway culvert and did not peek out when I was hunting it.  I'm going on the assumption that it is long gone! I hope!  I did take some more trash out today and looked very carefully, but did not see any more snakes.  
Pictures of my town and the approximate area the bear was in are below!



2 comments:

jen said...

Wow!
we've had a few mountain lions wandering close - but no bears! My bil's cabin has some serious juveniles up there wreaking havoc - not so excited about camping up there!

thanks for riding the train today, now following so i won't miss any of the good stuff!
Jen Greyson | Author

realcouponwifeofnj said...

Stopping by from the Alexa hop.

Christina

http://site.babyshowerdepot.com/blog
http://realcouponwifeofnj.blogspot.com

Post a Comment